Click here to download my resume.
56 Meck Lane, Alburtis, PA 18011 ♦ Phone 610-641-8782
Cell 484-951-4659 ♦ email@example.com
OBJECTIVE To apply my talents as a seasoned communicator to the critical task of imparting respect for human health and the environment.
PROFILE I am a veteran professional communicator and editor with two decades of experience across a wide range of print and electronic media including mainstream and advocacy journalism. I have a proven track record producing compelling newspaper, magazine, marketing, educational and web-based content under strict deadline. I am a team player with solid management experience. Earning a living in a manner that benefits others is a personal core value.
Write On: Professional Editorial Services/www.writeoneditor.com
- Clients and breadth of experience include the Society of Environmental Journalists (promotion, fundraising and membership recruitment), Rutgers University (editing grant proposals across myriad disciplines), Pennsylvania Certified Organic (quarterly journal editor), The Morning Call daily newspaper, Organic Gardening, Mother Earth News and Modern Farmer magazines (authoring articles).
Staff Writer (2013-2014)
The Morning Call, Allentown, Pa.
- Covered breaking news and other assigned stories on the business desk.
- Conceived of and executed in-depth enterprise pieces. These included:
- Martin Guitar Company’s attempts to ensure a durable future for the industry by promoting sound forest stewardship,
- A local ski resort’s efforts to conserve natural resources by recycling effluent for snowmaking, and
- A series of stories about local food access, farmland preservation and sustainable agriculture in the Lehigh Valley.
Adjunct Instructor/Course Developer (2012-2013)
Green Mountain College, Poultney, Vt.
- Created and taught courses for online Master of Science in Sustainable Food Systems program.
- Contributed to creation of inaugural residency program.
Managing Editor (2010-2012)
- Coordinated four editorial departments for this 54-year-old trade publication geared toward commercial-scale composting, organics recycling, farm-based and industrial-scale renewable energy and community sustainability.
- Wrote, assigned, edited and photographed feature stories.
- Cultivated relationships with new and potential audiences – such as hospitals, municipal planning offices and academic institutions – interested in executing zero waste goals and policies.
- Managed social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube); shot and edited video projects.
SENIOR EDITOR (2004-2009)
The New Farm, online magazine (www.newfarm.org)
- Worked with staff and freelancers to develop editorial and visual content that helps family farmers thrive and that encourages sound environmental stewardship.
- Made key editorial changes—such as conceptualizing and executing an online portal for students and academics committed to sustainable agriculture—that helped more than double the online magazine's monthly visitors (from approximately 40,000 to 80,000) and boosted the website ranking.
- Forged and cemented relationships with high-profile leaders in the sustainable agriculture movement, including Farm Aid, Organic Valley Family of Farms and several institutions of higher learning.
- Synergized with other departments at The Rodale Institute to assure the pioneering work carried out at the 333-acre research and educational farm translated to practical, digestible information.
SENIOR EDITOR (2000-2003)
Organic Gardening Magazine
- Key player on lean and mean editorial-design team that successfully ushered this 65-year-old national print publication through a severe budget deficit to the magazine's first realized profit in six years.
- Cultivated freelance writing talent, coached junior editors and administered the internship program.
- Wrote and edited feature stories and managed departments, shepherding freelance and in-house copy through the editing and production process.
MANAGING EDITOR (1999-2000)
Seaside Signal, Swift Newspapers, Inc.
- Budgeted editorial content; managed reporting, production and photography staff; and produced features, editorials and news stories at this weekly community newspaper.
- Project leader in a top-down redesign and conversion from tabloid to broadsheet.
ENTERPRISE EDITOR, environment and ski-industry reporter (1995-1999)
Vail Daily, Swift Newspapers, Inc.
- Supervised pool of six reporters and two photographers on quarterly projects and weekly sections.
- Kept a critical watch on the largest ski resort company in North America and covered hotbed environmental issues in an area where public lands are both revered and exploited.
BS in journalism, 1993 University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
MS in environmental studies (2010), Green Mountain College, Poultney, Vt.
MEMBERSHIP Society of Environmental Journalists.
Great Lakes Environmental Journalism Training Fellow, 2004, Knight Center for Environmental Journalism, Michigan State University.
Society of Environmental Journalists annual conference: 2006-2011.
BioCycle West Coast Conference, 2011-2012; BioCycle Renewable Energy from Organics Recycling Conference, 2010. Recruited speakers; organized and led bus tours, panel discussions and special events; facilitated conference coverage for respective websites.
Most recently worked in South India with an environmentally focused nonprofit; Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Nepal and Peru.
References available upon request